Special Events & Special Use Permits
SPECIAL EVENTS IN PARKS
A Special Event Permit is required for any proposed event that is to be held at a CVRD park or trail that falls into any of the following categories:
- will have attendance of 40 or more people;
- is being hosted by a club, organization or business;
- requires any set-up (e.g. chairs, tables, tents); or
- is open to the public.
HOW TO SUBMIT A SPECIAL EVENT PERMIT APPLICATION
You can also submit a Parks & Trails Special Event Permit Application Form by email, mail or in-person at 175 Ingram Street, Duncan, V9L 1N8.
Once received, CVRD Staff will:
- review your application to ensure there are no conflicts with other groups, events or closures/maintenance, and to determine suitability of your event at the park/trail;
- once reviewed, CVRD staff will be in-touch via email;
- if approved, a special event permit will be issued.
Please contact the Parks & Trails Division early for advice on the required application submission lead time for your proposed event to avoid disappointment. A minimum of 30 days is required for smaller events and no less than 90 days for larger, more complicated events.
Depending on the location of your proposed event, approval may need to be acquired from other jurisdictions including BC Parks, and the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure. A Vancouver Island Health Authority permit may be required if your event involves food service to the public.
A security deposit or key deposit may be required.
Our staff can provide you with assistance as you go through the process of determining suitability of approval for your special event at a CVRD park or trail
OTHER SPECIAL USE OF A PARK OR TRAIL
If required, a certificate of insurance naming the Cowichan Valley Regional District and any other applicable land managers as additional insured must be provided before an event can be approved. Insurance limit requirements are listed below.