Sport Event Grants
CVRD Sport Tourism will consider grant funding for events that meet the criteria below, including the provincial standards as outlined by the 'Return to Sport' guidelines.
If approved for a grant, sport organizations must demonstrate that they have a plan for how they will adhere to:
- Current provincial and regional health safety guidelines,
- Provincial 'Return to Sport' Guidelines,
- Provincial Health and Safety Guidelines
- Facility and/or venue safety guidelines.
Required criteria that must be met to receive consideration for funding:
- Financial incentives provided will support a Vancouver Island, Provincial or National event that brings people into the Cowichan Region.
- Events will take place within the boundaries of the Cowichan Region, as shown on this map.
- The event can be a tournament, championship, showcase, training camp, major competition, or similar.
- The event will have direct, local economic impact.
- Services and facilities within the Cowichan Valley Regional District will be used.
- The CVRD is to be recognized as a sponsor or contributor in all promotional and marketing materials.
- A post event report must be provided including data pertaining to economic activity and community impacts generated by the event.
Elements that will assist in determining the level of funding:
- Potential financial impact, including number of room nights generated.
- Social and community impact.
- Evidence of management and fiscal responsibility (example: business and marketing plan, sound financial controls, reasonable budget).
- Evidence of proactive and innovative approach demonstrating respect for the environment.
- Involvement from other community partners.
- Preference given to championship or titled events.
- Preference given to non-profit organizations.
Range of funding:
- If approved, grant amounts range from $500 to $3000 per event application.
Phased awarding of funding:
- 80% of the grant will be awarded prior to the event date, and 20% upon receipt of final report.
- The next application deadline is April 1, 2022 for events taking place between July 1 and December 31, 2022.
- The Sport Grant Approval Sub Committee will meet twice a year to evaluate applications.
Use of funds:
- Grant funding is to be used for event-specific expenses only. Not to be used for the club or organization's general or operating revenue.
Please complete the online Grant Application.
Remember to submit details for new events to the Sport Event Calendar, or inform us if your current event has been postponed or cancelled due to Covid 19.
If you have questions, please call 250.510.0649 or email us.