- Utility Services
- Water Systems
- Carlton Water System
Carlton Water System
Carlton water system is a small water system located east of Shawnigan Lake village, in area B and services 46 residential properties.
Source, Treatment and Distribution
The source water for Carlton water is two groundwater wells. The wells pump water up to the treatment plant where the water receives chlorine disinfection and continues to the reservoir where it is pumped to the distribution system and fed on demand to the customers.
A new treatment building was constructed in 2022, funder by Community Works Gas Tax.
Critical equipment is monitored 24-hours a day for malfunctions, such as high or low chlorine levels or pump failures; if such an abnormality occurs, an alarm is immediately sent to the on-duty pager to alert CVRD staff.
Water Quality Tests
Carlton water system is sampled, at a minimum, once a week. The following table shows the sampling frequency and parameters tested for the water system:
|Weekly||Bacterial (E.Coli and Total Coliforms)||Samples are submitted to Island Health for testing by a provincial laboratory|
|Annual||Full spectrum analysis based on the Canadian Drinking Water Guidelines. Sampling of the source and distribution is alternated each year.||Bureau Veritas|
Testing results can be found in the Annual Water Report completed each year.
2018 Sample Results can be found here
Carlton is a fully metered water system meaning each connection has a water meter that records water consumption. Water meters are read every six months and customers are charged according to their consumption and based on the rates set out in the inclined block rate table (see below for details). Current year budget information can be viewed here.
|Billing Period||Meter Reading Date||User Fees*|
minimum payment (up to 200m3)
|Minimum Annual Fee|
(User Fee and Parcel)
|March 15- September 14||September 15||$200.00|| |
|September 15- March 14||March 15||$200.00|
*User Fees are mailed out to each customers on the billing date stated above.
**Parcel Tax is charged once a year and is incorporated into the property tax for each customer.
Inclined Block Rate Table
|Water Use (per billing period)||Charge|
|0-200 m3|| $200.00|
|201-300 m3||$200.00 + $1.00 per m3 over 200m3|
|301-400 m3||$300.00 + $1.50 per m3 over 300m3|
|over 400 m3||$450.00 + $2.25 per m3 over 400m3|
User Charges may be adjusted where an undetected leak on the consumer's property has resulted in water usage greatly exceeding typical usage of water, according to the applicable classification(s) and there is no indication that water was knowingly allowed to run to waste. A request for a leak adjustment may be granted if all the following conditions are met or in extraordinary circumstances approval of the Corporate Financial Officer or the Manager.
1. The property owner has not been granted a leak adjustment in the last 5 years.
2. The leak was repaired within 30 days of billing or discovery of the leak.
3. Written verification describing the nature of the leakage and the action taken to rectify the problem must be received by the Manager before a leak adjustment will be granted.
Where a leak adjustment is approved, User Charge adjustments will be determined as follows:
1. If the leak is found in the service line, volumes from the 2 previous years, of the same billing cycle, will be averaged and charged. ie. Average of 2 previous summers, if leak occurs in the summer.
2. If the leak is associated with an in-home plumbing fixture or irrigation system, volumes from the 2 previous years, of the same billing cycle will be averaged plus 50% of the incremental water usage (between the average and the overage) will be charged to a maximum added value of $500.
3. Subsequent leaks occurring with the 5 years of the previous leak adjustment request will be eligible for a cap of $1,500.