Fireworks Permits & Safety
Apply for Fireworks Permit
Applications for January 1, July 1 or October 31 must be submitted 1 week prior to the event.
Applications for fireworks discharge on any other date must be submitted a minimum of 45 days prior to event to allow for the application to be processed and presented to the Electoral Area Services Committee and CVRD Board for approval.
- Permit is free of charge
- Must be 19 years old
- Must be the property owner or have written permission submitted with your application
- Must adhere to the guidelines provided
- All liability assumed by permit holder
- Applications where fireworks discharge location is within 500m of a livestock property
WILL NOT BE APPROVED
or pick one up at the CVRD Main office at
175 Ingram Street, Duncan, BC
CVRD Fireworks & Discharge Regulation Bylaw No. 39
- The goal of Bylaw No. 39 is to reduce the risk of personal injury, noise, and property damage from fireworks use.
- Minimize the impact on livestock and pets.
- The area of jurisdiction of this Bylaw includes all electoral areas (Mill Bay/Malahat, Shawnigan Lake, Cobble Hill, Cowichan Bay, Cowichan Station/Sahtlam/Glenora, Cowichan Lake South/Skutz Falls, Youbou/Meade Creek, Saltair/Gulf Islands, & North Oyster/Diamond) and the Town of Ladysmith and the Town of Lake Cowichan.
- Permitted dates; January 1st, July 1st, October 31st
- No person shall sell fireworks
- No person shall discharge fireworks unless in possession of an approved CVRD Fireworks Discharge Permit.
- No fireworks discharged within 500 m of a livestock property.
- No bonfires after sunset
- Sale of fireworks: $750
- Unlawful discharge of fireworks: $250
Talk to your neighbours!
- A friendly warning to your neighbours will limit disturbance. Respectful communication goes a long way for healthy neighbourly relations.
- Check for livestock and pets in your area
- Have a safe and fun time!