How do I know if I need a Development Permit?

If you are planning to develop your property and it's located within one or more Development Permit Areas (DPAs), you will need a Development Permit (DP) prior to obtaining a Building Permit or obtaining subdivision approval, unless otherwise exempt. It is important to remember, a DP is not a building permit. To find out if your  project requires a DP application you can call staff or follow the instructions below:

  1. Visit the online Web Map tool, search your property using the address tool or Parcel Identifier (PID)
  2. Identify your property using the 'identify' tool (top left) - click on your property. Information should populate on the left side including the parcel boundaries, survey plans and development permit areas. 
  3. If your property is within a Development Permit Area it will appear in that list as 'DPA #'. Click on the DPA. At the bottom there will be a hyperlink to the Official Community Plan for the Electoral Areas. 
  4. Schedule C of the OCP is where you will find the Development Permit Area guidelines, definitions and exemptions. If your project does not meet one of the exemptions under the applicable DPA you will need a DP, prior to altering the land in anyway.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a building permit to do work in the Regional District?
2. How do I get a building permit?
3. How much does a permit cost?
4. How can I pay for my building permit?
5. How long does it take to process a building permit?
6. Can I get the permit process started before I have a complete application?
7. How long is a building permit valid?
8. How and when can I request building inspections?
9. What building inspections are required in the CVRD?
10. What time will my Building Official come to do the inspection?
11. Where can I get a copy of the BC Building Code?
12. Do I need a permit for a deck or garden shed?
13. Do you release copies of building inspection records?
14. Where can I find information on my septic system/well?
15. Do I require a building permit for a farm building?
16. I have a general question, who should I talk to?
17. Can I use lumber cut from timber on my property to construct my house or accessory building?
18. What Climate Zone is my property in?
19. What is my Seismic Smax value?
20. What is zoning?
21. What is a Riparian Area?
22. What is the Web Map and how do I use it?
23. What is an accessory dwelling unit?
24. Can I have an accessory dwelling unit?
25. What is a secondary suite?
26. Can I have a secondary suite in my home?
27. What are Development Permit Areas (DPAs)?
28. What is a Development Permit?
29. How do I know if I need a Development Permit?
30. What is a Development Variance Permit?
31. Can I have an Air B&B?
32. Can I cut down a tree (or trees), and do I need a permit?
33. Can I have a 'tiny home'?
34. Does CVRD require compliance with the BC Energy Step Code?
35. What are my Snow Loads?
36. Are there requirements for fence construction?
37. How can I get information on a building file?
38. Do I need a building permit for a pool?