Can my clients cut down a tree (or trees), and do they need a permit?

The CVRD does not have a tree cutting bylaw. The CVRD does, however, regulate the cutting of trees in certain areas that have been designated as a Development Permit Area (DPA) and may even prohibit the cutting of trees and other vegetation. The Riparian Area Protection DPA is one of these areas that will require a permit prior to cutting or removal of any vegetation. Other areas that may require a permit prior to cutting trees are areas designated as a sensitive ecosystem and/or steep slope. 

Tree cutting should occur during identified low-risk timing periods (mid-September to January). If tree cutting must occur outside this time window, a thorough nest search should be conducted. Removal or modification of a nest tree requires written permission (permit) from the Province (MoE) and may also require a federal permit.

Show All Answers

1. What is zoning?
2. How do I read a zoning bylaw?
3. What is the Web Map and how do I use it?